GreenHab Report – March 14th

When we arrived to MDRS, the door to the Green Hab was locked and all plants were dead. The door got unlocked the same day and Shannon Rupert did substantive works to put things in order, remove dry plants and prepare pots for new crops.

I have finished today what Shannon started: I have collected trash and removed the resting dry plants as well as I put things in order and brushed the floor. I have also analysed the seeds that are available for planting. Most of the pots contain soil and none of them contains plants (there are still dry roots left though in some of the pots). Approximately a half of them is ready to be used for new plants.

Each morning I turn the fan on and I turn it off in the evening. I also partially open and close a sort of the window built into the door. The fan works well. The days are very sunny, so it gets very hot inside (the temperature outside was 26 C degrees; I still need to find a thermometer to measure the temperature inside).

The next step is to start seeds as well as bring some plants from the field and try to grow them inside the Green Hab. I also need to examine how to regulate the temperature, lightening and moisture of the soil in a way it fits the seeds.

GreenHab in Decline
GreenHab in Decline


Best wishes,
Karolina Zawieska
Green Hab Officer, Crew 176